1. Be aware of the water temperature. Scalding hot water can cause fatal injuries. Children have sensitive skin in general and can burn easily.
2. Always supervise your children while they bathe. Never leave a young child unattended in the tub (or any body of water for that matter!)
3. Never allow your child to rough house in the tub or shower. Showers and tubs are slippery, then add soap and clumsy kids and we have an accident waiting to happen.
4. To prevent other health hazards remember to clean and disinfect bath toys to prevent mold and bacteria.
5. Toilets also pose a drowning risk for young children.
6. Keep electrical devices away from tubs and water sources as well as from your little ones to prevent potential electrocution.
7. Last but not less important, learn CPR. While you can take all the precautions, accidents do occur and when every second counts, knowing CPR can make all the difference. West Jeff Hospital, Touro Infirmary Hospital and the Red Cross offers classes. Call or check their websites for information on dates and cost.
Now that you have had a refresher on how to prevent accidents and injuries in the Bathroom, you and your little one can enjoy bath time, safely.